Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Thanks, No Thanks

*
*
Thanks, But No Thanks



"Tell the man 'Thank You', Bobby."

"I don't wanna', Mommy."

"You tell the man 'Thank you' right this minute whether you want to or not!"

"I don't wanna! I don't wanna' if I don't wanna'!"

"You say 'Thank you' or you're going to get what-for when we get home!"

"O Kay! Thank you! There, I said it. Stop yanking on my arm!"

"That's better. You just wait til your father gets home."

"I said it, Mommy. What else do you want?"



"That there is one child I always likes to see...see leave the store, that is."

"I agrees belly an' soul. He's a real charmer that one is."

"I think you means 'Heart an' Soul," not belly."

"Nope, I mean belly all right, 'cause that's where I gets upset when I see's the kid."

"Yep. The kid's a hand full, ok. But 'least his momma's got a short reign on him."

"How you mean?"

"Makin' the kid mind his manners. Got the kid to say 'thank ya' in spite a' his self."

"Fat lot a' good it does. Thanks like that is like spittin' on a forest fire."

"I'd say more like tossing kerosine on it, my own self. Makes a feller feel all the worse for havin' been thanked."

"Hollow words at best, they is. No doubt 'bout it."

"I don't know about that. It could do some good."

"What you saying, Reggie? More a' your city-fied ideas?"

"No. I just think that it's better for the boy if his mother teaches him good manners whether he means them or not. It may help him grow into a more polite and likable man."

"Nonsense and foolhardiness, I says. Make him into a more spit 'n polish con man is what it'll do."
"Shore 'nough. Teachin' the kid to lie through his teeth is all. Say words he don't mean one whit 'cause he knows that's what folks want's ta' hear."

"So you're telling me that you would rather that a man be crude rather than refined and polite?"

"Shore would. That way I can tell straight off if I wants to do business with him."

"That be so. Don't want that I finds out after hands has been shook that the man is no-account."

"Or that his words is just more guff an' malarkey. Rather I could tell that right off so I could steer clear a' the fella."

"My daughter done fall'd inta' a trap just like that one. Feller had us all buff'lloed, he did. Come to find out after it were too late that the feller was nothin' more than a fox in rabbit wool."

"You mean 'fox in wolf's clothin'."

"You is both wrong. You got's it turned full 'round."

"It don't matter none. You get my drift."

"My oldest boy done run into the same kind a' deal. He gone into partners with this here smooth-talkin' fella an got left holdin' an empty bag."

"Fact is, too many rotten to the core fellas out there what has learned fine words that is worth nothin."

"Besides which, what is a 'thank ya' nohow but a quick way to get out of a debt."

"I don't follow you. You will have to run that by me slowly."

"That's 'cause you is edjy-cated, Reggie."

"Right, 'cause it's as plain as the nose on ol' Tom's face."

"Leave my nose out of this. It ain't no bigger than no one else's no way."

"I don't know, Tom. I see'd you sniff out a 'coon quicker than my ol' hound dog."

"No-account thank ya's. Say I was ta' run you an' your ailing woman over to Ballentree right quick 'bout midnight. I uses my gasoline, loses a night's sleep, an' saves your wife. Now, what does I get fer it? A 'thank ya'. An' now you feels that you has paid me in full an' owes me nothin'."

"Or like me with my neighbor fella. I spended two full days buildin' his fence, an' got a half-soled 'thanks' fer it. An' come time fer my crop ta' come in, he found his self too busy to lend a hand."

"And how about Bossy."

"Tha's Right. Bossy, that's my heifer, she got herself through the fence into this feller's field, an' when I asked him to fetch her fer me, he raised a ruckus, and made me pay fer the straw she e't. Thank ya's is like water in a sieve, I say's."

"So, what would you suggest in place of 'thank you'? Would you just rather that a person say nothing? Show no sign of appreciation at all?"

"Thank ya's are fine, if they isn't an' end what ends all. No words ought ta' take the place of heart-felt gratitude."

"Like us'ns here abouts. If one of us has got a need what needs tendin', other folks digs right in and does all what he can to bail him out. No words is needed. We all knows he will do the same if'n we needs for anything."

"That's what we calls 'appreciation'. No words can take the place a' appreciation."

"Take that kid with his momma. She can't teach him appreciation. You either has it or you don't. An' if you don't, it don't do no good to teach him words like as if he has got it."

"Same like the other way 'round. If a feller has got it, he will show it, not with words, but by what he does."

"Now I say, if that kid was just forgetful of his manners, and just needed a bit of instruction or remindin', than that is a different kettle a' fish all together."

"Well, I can see your point. But I have to disagree with your final analysis. I think that all children need instruction, and they can learn proper manners."

"That's 'cause you is edjy-cated, Reggie. You don't know no better."

"Want ta' come help me with my fence, Reggie?"